Born in the metropolis of Houston, Wiley Robertson’s journey began as a graffiti artist in the streets of the city in 1998. His early work was traditional freehand graffiti in aerosol form, but stencils, stickers, sign painting, wheat pasting and large murals quickly became his forte. As his curiosity of other materials developed, his work became more widely recognized around Houston, during which he created his unique, opulent and ornate style. Wiley attended the Kansas City Art Institute, where he studied painting. Although his formal training proved relevant as a traditional artist, his mother – a graphic designer and artist, his father – an artist and teacher, and artists Keith Haring, Basquiat, and David Choe, influenced him most.
Wiley’s work often engages a positive stream-of-conscious doodling-style that embraces pop culture, colors of the 80s, and never-dying, happy, pattern-filled worlds. Common subjects include typography, portraits, architecture, and people he observes. One of his most celebrated projects is “LOVE.” The word “LOVE” is painted on wood and affixed to light post and buildings. These can be seen around the greater Houston area at stoplights and light posts. They are mostly found in the Heights, Montrose, and in Downtown Houston.
Community collaborative murals are at the foreground of his most current work. These murals reside in lower to middle class latino communities. The idea behind these murals is to create an aesthetic where the community can feel that the mural reflects it, helping to create a sense of civic responsibility and pride. His community projects involve students and young adults from the surrounding areas that house these large murals.
Recent experience and commissions include:
- Station Museum of Contemporary Art – “Call It Street Art, Call It Fine Art, Call It What You Know” exhibition
- The Heights Interfaith Ministries (HIM) Food Pantry
- Project Row House
- Gallery Row – “FunkMotor” exhibition
- Oxheart restaurant
- GreenStreet – downtown Houston
- Skatestock II Artwork
- 3715 Washington Ave Houston TX United St...Arts District Houston (AKA Washington Ave)3301 Cline St Houston TX United StatesFifth Ward1013 Montrose Blvd Houston TX United Sta...Montrose3511 Houston Avenue Houston TXNorthside1848 Airline Houston TXNorthsideFulton @ Bigelow Houston TXNorthside9605 Irvington Blvd Houston TXNorthside6412 N Main St Houston TX United StatesNorthside811 Collingsworth St Houston TX United S...Northside1201 Quitman St Houston TX United States...Northside1606 White Oak Dr Houston TX United Stat...Northside2301 Fulton St Houston TX United StatesNorthside2601 North Main Houston TX United States...Northside1299 Henry St Houston TX United StatesNorthside615 Pinckney St Houston TX United States...Northside2012 Common / Common @ Paschall Houston ...Northside1410 Lee St Houston TX United StatesNorthside1298 West St Houston TX United StatesNorthside1804 N. Main Houston TX United StatesNorthsideCullen Blvd @ Polk St Houston TX United ...East End8684 Louetta Rd Spring TX United StatesSpring6412 N Main St Houston TX United StatesHeights1504 Yale St Houston TX United StatesHeights1050 Yale Street Houston TX United State...Heights600 Pecore St Houston TX United StatesHeightsColumbia St @ White Oak Dr Houston TX Un...Heights2201 Taylor St Houston TX United StatesArts District Houston (AKA Washington Ave)1218 Spring Street Houston TX United Sta...Arts District Houston (AKA Washington Ave)927 Dart St Houston TX United States