Aldine, built on the International–Great Northern Railroad, was named after a local farm family. A post office operated in Aldine from 1896 to 1935; after 1935, mail was delivered from Houston. In 1914 Aldine included two general stores, a fig preserver, and several poultry breeders and several dairymen. The population briefly reached 100 in 1925. In the 1930s and 1940s the population decreased to between thirty and forty residents. The Aldine Independent School District was integrated by federal order in 1965. Aldine, with renewed population growth in the 1970s, had 12,623 residents in 1986 and 11,133 residents in 1990.